Monday, March 5, 2012

CP Poultry Unit

For our video presentation, me and my classmate journeyed to the poultry unit on the outskirts of campus. What an eye-opening experience! We interviewed a second-year student named Christian who lives in the poultry unit in a little double-wide motor home. I can't imagine being content living in such an isolated environment, but Christian seems to like it a lot. He grew up on a farm in Crescent City, so working in the poultry unit is right up his alley.

Christian gave us a mini-tour of the poultry unit. We got to see 4,000 chickens that have been confined to cages producing eggs for a year. The odor in this room was unbearable, but Christian said "You get used to it." The Chickens produce eggs that travel on a conveyor belt to a different room where they are then collected and stacked in crates. I forget the exact number, but I believe Christian said 2,000 eggs are collected per day.

Although I can't relate to the lifestyle that Christian has, it's interesting and beneficial to gain a new perspective on someone who grew up with an agricultural background.

No comments:

Post a Comment