Monday, March 5, 2012

Questioning the Healthiness of Chipotle

After watching the long Chipotle commercial in class last week, I was intrigued enough to look into the healthiness of the burrito. The commercial was trying to convey the message that Chipotle gets their ingredients straight from the farm while maintaining an eco-friendly environment.

I would say that on average I make at least one visit to the Chipotle in San Luis Obispo every week. The downtown location is convenient, the food tastes great, and for some reason it doesn't get old. I was always under the impression that what I was consuming was healthy. I order basically the same thing every time: A chicken burrito with white rice, pinto beans, grilled vegetables, salsa, sour cream, cheese, and lettuce. Sounds reasonably healthy, right?

According to Menshealth.com, the Chipotle mexican grilled burrito is the worst Mexican entree in America. It contains 1,179 calories,7 g fat, 125 g carbs, and 2,656 mg of sodium. The ingredients may be relatively healthy, but the size of the burrito is not. Splitting the burrito in half with another person would be a healthy alternative, but for me and many others that's impossible because I always want to eat the whole thing at once. 


After researching, I've come to the conclusion that Chipotle is an acceptable meal if I'm looking for something reasonably healthy. The serving size and excessive sodium in the burrito are the downsides to eating there, but the upside is that the ingredients are fresh and free of trans-fat. Although I have yet to get tired of the chicken burrito, I should consider not eating the whole thing at once and cutting down on the frequent trips there. 

1 comment:

  1. I always eat at Chipotle and thought it was fairly a healthy meal as well, but after you stating how many calories, fat, carbs, and sodium are in one burrito I might just have to stop or do the healthy alternative and split it in half! Thank you for this information, I would have never of looked at the nutritional value there!

    ReplyDelete